lifestyle • ★★★★☆
I remember that so many kids in high school would complain about history class, but they clearly did not understand all of the important reasons to study history. They did not understand what a big impact our history can have on us today. And they certainly did not understand how learning history can help us shape our future.
1 Understand Society
Of all of the reasons to study history, this one might be the most important. How can we being to understand society today without understand what created it? The events and people that shaped who we are today are incredibly important.
2 Understand Change
Going along with understanding society, studying history allows us a look into what causes change. The events leading up to both World Wars help us understand how a small event can set off a large series of changes. History gives us the opportunity to see how daily life has changed over the years, and what goes into the fostering that change.
olivia very tremendous peeps keep dig it...
3 Provides Sense of Identity
It is no wonder that websites like Ancestry.com are so popular. People are intrigued to know where they came from. What blood runs in their veins? Is there any interesting family history? Knowing the history of your family is very important to some people in finding a sense of identity.
Kayla This reflects a lot about me. I love reading Afric...
4 Preserves Stories
It is important we hear the stories of those before us. I find talking to my grandmother fascinating because she tells me so many stories of what it was like growing up in her time. I think it is important to hear what those before us have to say. We need to hear their stories, preserve them, and pass them down to those after us.
5 Inspire Us
Hearing the stories of those before us can inspire us to take action in our own lives. Knowing that my ancestors came to this country and worked their hardest for a better life, inspires me to work my hardest of provide for my future family. Our past can have a huge impact on our future and we need that inspiration to teach us that.
6 Teach Us Warning Signs
In the Jewish community, we pray that another Holocaust will never happen to any group of people every again. But because of our suffering, we have learned the warning signs leading up to such a horror. Society has been able to take these warning signs and fight against them when they seem them in the present day. Knowing what events led up to a large occasion helps up better predict and influence our future.
7 Help Us Be Better People
Some people view history as a boring and unimportant subject, but one of the most important reasons to study history is that is will make you a better person. You will have a better understanding of the world and what shaped it into the world it is today. You will understand the suffering, joy, and chaos that were necessary for the present day to happen.
Some people think history is very boring, and I never understood those people. It is a giant story that leads up to you. It tells you about the lives of people who lived hundreds of years before you. And it can help you understand and mold the world around you. What did you think of my reasons to study history? What are some reasons you think it is important to study history? Did you enjoy studying history in school?
Please rate this article
- Thomas The more you study history, the more you learn you have been lied to your whole life. For example When did slavery become illegal in America... 1943... Yes it was abolished but it wasn't illegal to keep someone in slavery until 1943. What happen on July 4th 1776 - nothing of importance it was a fairly average day in Philadelphia. Edison didn't invent the lightbulb
- Whatever Bro, there are so many people commenting on this! -Whatever Oh and thanks for making this.
- Whatever Time to read!
- Whatever I haven't read this yet but I am going to since ,well I just am and I also just wanted to comment on this thing for some reason.
- olivia well one history teachers!!!
- olivia YEP YOU GUYS ARE SPEAKING TRUTH ABOUT HISTORY. its like the best subjectttttttttttttt. everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
- olivia #2 very tremendous peeps keep dig it
- olivia #1 nice
- Luke I was looking forward to studying American history in my last year of high school
- Luke I was looking forward to studying American history in my last year of high school
- Kayla #3 This reflects a lot about me. I love reading African History ( I'm a proud Black girl ). And when I read about ShakaZulu, Kwame Nkrumah, Chinua Achebe and Thomas Sankara, I feel like this is where I belong, this is who I am and I have to be part of the struggle. But many Africans don't value history yet it is very important in terms of the prosperity of out beloved continent. I feel people should put more emphasis on history because you are able to know your identity through history.
- Ramon I have 1 reason why i study history, because it's fun and it's a window to the past.
- Ramon I study history more than you guys :I
- Menna I am a little girl who is 12 years old and I LOVE history!! I am different from others!! HAHAHA!!
- daddy @Menna: No its not
- Alondra @Menna,WHO TF ARE YOU?!?!?!?
- HeyItsMe I needed info like this for my assignment so this was helpful
- olivia @HeyItsMe: YAH ME TOO
- Macy i need it for my assignment and reference list. thanks! :)
- Macy umm.. when was this article made?
- olivia @Macy: Yah when!
- Lisa History is taught differently in each country.
- olivia @Lisa: I guess so
- NinjaBudgie Does anyone mind if I just shove this article up my family's noses - thanks for strengthening my argument!
- Sarah I wish I could go back to school and take a few history classes. I was especially captivated by the wars.
- melanie History is the best subject. I wish they had better ways of exciting and opening our minds to it when I was in high school (rather than just popping in a VHS)
- olivia awww
- olivia @melanie: you said it MELANIE, good jog girl
- Nicole I really love History and how we always challenge each other and try to convince each other with our view points. It's rather sad to see, however, the geography students making fun of us because it's "dead". Alas, it's nice to see this post!
- Ema Yes, history is fascinating...too bad it doesn't always reflect the truth and so much of what we learn is the result of politics...
- Vanity I love history. I have a minor in history.
- Gabi I am a history major and I agree with all of these!!!
- Marie YES! My major in university was history - such a fascinating and enlightening subject :)
- Courtney As a history teacher I was thrilled to see this post!! Love history almost as much as I love my own children.
- Tara I was looking forward to studying American history in my last year of high school but my teacher changed and instead we studied our own country( Australia) and I love history. In general and found out many interesting things in general.
- olivia @Tara: Awwww so sweet of you Tara
Things to look forward to in college
7 Reasons Girls like Rock Stars ...
7 Best Universities in Europe Youll Be Interested in Studying in ...
3 Reasons How College Will Teach You about Yourself ...
7 Annoying People in Your College Classroom ...
9 Ways to Enhance Your Resume and Cover Letter and Land Your Dream Job ...
Benefits of all girl school
7 Wonderful Summer Activities for Preschoolers ...
College student freebies
Readers questions answered
- Paris color le stylo shadow avant garde ...
- Nature is more powerful than man ...
- Paris stylo smoky neon ...
- Loreal paris riche le stylo always ...
- How to get your boyfriend to groom himself ...
- How to stay awake in a boring class ...
- Why is my friend dumb ...
- Is snort laughing cute ...
- How to overcome orthorexia ...
- This cool guy my gardener met yesterday spies on your homie for a disease. ...
- By Peter N. ...
- History Helps Us Understand People and Societies. ...
- History Helps Us Understand Change and How the Society We Live in Came to Be. ...
- The Importance of History in Our Own Lives. ...
- History Contributes to Moral Understanding. ...
- History Provides Identity.
Studying history helps us understand how events in the past made things the way they are today. With lessons from the past, we not only learn about ourselves and how we came to be, but also develop the ability to avoid mistakes and create better paths for our societies.Why is it important to study your history? ›
Studying history helps us understand and grapple with complex questions and dilemmas by examining how the past has shaped (and continues to shape) global, national, and local relationships between societies and people.Why study history 12 reasons why it's important? ›
It helps us to gather evidence, and to find pattern and trends. You can apply information from the past to analyze and solve problems in the present. It gives us an understanding of other people and cultures. It challenges us to think outside the box, and be creative.What are three good reasons for studying history? ›
- History helps us develop a better understanding of the world. ...
- History helps us understand ourselves. ...
- History helps us understand other people. ...
- History teaches a working understanding of change. ...
- History helps us be decent citizens. ...
- History makes us better decision makers.